email

 

Temple of Hera


The archeological site of the Valley of the Temples

Temple of Hera (Juno) Lacinia

Temple of Herakles (Hercules)

Temple of Olympean Zeus (Jupiter)

Temple of Dioscuri (Castor and Pollux)

Temple of Hephaistos (Vulcan)

Temple of Asclepios (Esculapium)

Rocky Sanctuary of Demeter

History of Agrigento

 

 

 

 

The Temple of Concordia
in Agrigento's Valley of the Temples


Concordia

 


Temple of Concordia


The setting of this building is unique in the world. Ratios are simple and proportions are perfect. Erected around 430 B.C., it is meters 19,758 by 42,230, slightly larger than a double square. It covers an area of 843,38 square meters and has a height of meters 13,481.
The cella was preceded by a simple antechamber (pronaos m. 5,110 by 7,650) with two columns and was followed by a back porch (opistodomos m. 4,720 by 7,650), where the treasure, votive gifts and the archives of the temple were kept. The elegant and airy columnade, according to classical models, has 6 columns by 13; every column, 6,75 metres high, consists of 4 drums and has 20 sharp- edged flutes.
The tbuilding was named by the historian Fazello (1490- 1570), who found a Latin inscription in the vicinities, not having any relationship with the building. In 597, it was converted into a Christian basilica by the bishop Gregorio, He pulled down two pagan idols in the temple; since one of them was called
Raps, the Church was later consecrated to St. Gregorio
of the Rape (Turnips)

 

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape


Agrigento: where to stay
Book your hotel and B&B online!

Opening times and admission fees

VisitAgrigento. Valley of the Temples' daily guided tours

Agrigento tour guides Guided private tours of the Valley of the Temples, Agrigento, Sciacca, Naro, Licata and hometowns

Agrigento: the historic centre and the city

The province

Travel itineraries: archeology, art, gastronomy, literature, religion. Theme tours

 

 

Excerpts from the guidebook "Agrigento- The Valley of the Temples and the Regional Museum" by Giuseppe Di Giovanni, a companion to most of the visitors of the Valley of The Temples. The photographs belong to the Archivio Di Giovanni and are reproduced under kind permission of the author
Email

Copyright 2002- 2008 Sicily TravelNet - Michele Gallo Vicolo Dante, 35, 92100 Agrigento. Partita IVA 01567000847
All content within this website is copyrighted and may not be reproduced without the written consent of the site owner