of Hera (Juno) Lacinia|
The name is, like that one of other Agrigentan temples, conventional. In the architecture
of this temple, erected on the south- east corner of the Valley of the Temples
at a height of 120 meters above sea level, is obvious the worry of a rigorous
artistic perfection. The building, like the others, faces east and has remarkable
dimensions: on a high rectangular platform (m.41,106 in length and 20,260 in width),
mounted on four steps, rest 34 columns. Six on the short side and thirteen on
the long side , counting the corner ones both ways. A double square that occupies
a surface of 832,807 square meters. The columns consist of four tamburi or drums
with 20 sharp-edged flutes and have a height of meters 6,32 and a base diameter
of meters 1,70; their distance is meters 1.71 at the center and 1,76 at the sides.
It can be dated around 450-440 B.C.
Today, 30 columns are standing but only
sixteen with their capitals. It was restored by the Prince of Torremuzza in 1787.
of Concordia |
The setting of this temple is unique in the world. Ratios are simple and proportions
are perfect. Erected around 430 B.C., it is meters 19,758 by 42,230, slightly
larger than a double square. It covers an area of 843,38 square meters and has
a height of meters 13,481.
The cella was preceded by a simple antechamber
(pronaos m. 5,110 by 7,650) with two columns and was followed by a back
porch (opistodomos m. 4,720 by 7,650), where the treasure, votive gifts
and the archives of the temple were kept. The elegant and airy columnade, according
to classical models, has 6 columns by 13; every column, 6,75 metres high, consists
of 4 drums and has 20 sharp- edged flutes.
The temple was named by the historian
Fazello (1490- 1570), who found a Latin inscription in the vicinities, not having
any relationship with the building. In 597, it was converted into a Christian
basilica by the bishop Gregorio, He pulled down two pagan idols in the temple;
since one of them was called Raps, the Church was later consecrated to St. Gregorio
of the Rape (Turnips).
of Heracles (Hercules) (510 B.C.)|
One of the most beautiful temples of antiquity , it is now reduced in poor ruins.
But even so, the building, still visible from far away, is imposing and rises
in the Valley of the Temples just like the symbol of the power and strength of
Herakles, the national hero of Sicily and, in particular, Agrigento.
rectangular platform, mounted on four steps, measures m.73,992 in length and 27,788
in width, a triple square that occupies a surface of .2.056,89 square meters.
It was m. 16,264 high.
Out of 38 columns (6 on the front and 15 on the long
sides counting the corner ones twice), only 9 stand out today. They were put back
up in 1922, thanks to the English captain Alexander Hardcastle.
di Asclepius (Esculapius)|
was this temple that all the sick would attend to receive treatments and advice.
It dates from 400- 390 B.C. It consisted of a cella in antis and of a pronaos
with two columns.
The building, says Polybius, was eight and a half stadiums
away from the city, that is 1480 meters. Cicero asserts that in the temple there
was a statue of Apollo, made by Miron, whose name was written with silver letters
on one thigh of the masterpiece.
The Temple of Asclepios was a small building:
22,144 meters long and 11,118 wide, it occupied a surface of 246,196 square meters,
and its decoration was by far inferior to that of classical Greek temples. The
walls are m.0,55; the diameter of the columns is m.1,10.
of Olyumpian Zeus (Jupiter)|
The Akragantines, after their victory over the Carthaginians at Himera (480- 479),
as a thanks- giving to Zeus, erected this temple that, for its proportions, was
one of largest of antiquity. It is an essentially Doric building but it was pseudoperipteral
i.e. there were no free-standing columns but demi-columns , seven by fourteen,
engaged into a continuous wall.
The massive rectangular platform stands on
five steps, faced east and measured 113, 20 meters in length and 56meters in width,
a double square covering an area of .6407 square meters, nearly the dimensions
of a soccer field that can accommodate approximately 42.00 spectators.
the intercolumni (spaces between the columns) stood giant statues (7.61
metres high) called Telamons or Atlantes.
The historian Tommaso Fazello, who
can be regarded as the discoverer of this temple, reported that most of the building
fell to the ground on 9 December 1401.
Temple of Castor and Pollux (Dioscuri) |
The high platform, mounted on three steps, measured m. 34,12 in length and 15,86
in width, little less than a double square. It occupied a surface of 541,143 square
metres.. Only four columns, out of 34, stand out among its ruins. On the corner
ashlar there is a beautiful rosette.
The building was, in 1836, cleared of
all the rubble and the earth that for many centuries had covered it. The archeologists
Villareale and Cavallari, for order of the Duke of Serradifalco, unearthed the
columns and re- erected three of them on three steps. A fourth one was added in
Temple of Hephaistos (Vulcan) |
Only two columns standing on the incomplete base are the remains of the Temple
of Vulcan. Erected around 430 B.C. on the western-most end of the hill, its length
was 37,89 meters and its width 19,26 meters. It was originally surrounded by 34
Temple of Demeter|
It was a temple in antis built around 480 B.C. The base and most of the
cella are still well preserved.
It was 22,66 metres long and 12,10 metres
In the Middle Ages, the Church of San Biagio was built on the steps
of the temple.